ADVERTISEMENT

Come on

westtexan

Gold Member
Jun 25, 2001
Let's call a spade a spade. Steve Fairchild is terrible. He needs to go and should have been fired after last season. I am not sure about London. He seems like a great guy, but since he is the one who is making the decisions for his coaching staff and he is sticking with Fairchild, maybe he should go too. For a while, I was very supportive of London, but after watching the ending of the UNC game last year and the calls that were made to take the Whoos out of field goal range at the end of the game was just total coaching incompetence. Fairchild should have been fired after that game (and maybe London too). I am a University of Texas gradute who dumped watching UT in favor of UVA two years ago because my son was an rising first year there. I dumped Texas in part because Mac Brown exhibited similar behavior by keeping Butch Davis (another terrible OC) and taking Texas down to a point to where they were a mediocre team - even though they were loaded with 5 star recruits (both Mac Brown and London are very good recruiters). Anyway, back to UVA and Fairchild, it is pretty sad when a weekend fan (much less an opposing team's defensive coordinator) who has watched a couple of games can easily predict what the next play will be from the offense coached by Fairchild. I am sitting in the stands knowing what will be run and knowing it will not work - and guess what, I am right on both accounts. It feels to me that Fairchild has a strategy to keep a game close for moral victory sake. I am not sure why he doesn't act like Duke did two years a go when they had a go for broke strategy. UVA does have a really tough non-conference schedule. Desperate people do desperate things, so just go for it! I say, fire Fairchild, get a offensive coach who runs the spread (after all look at our last several recruiting classes and you will see we have WRs coming out our you know what), open it up a bit (like teams that are undermanned have to do) and give UVA a fighting chance to win. That is what teams like Texas Tech and many others have done in order to become competitive because it is a lot easier to pass block on quick hitting passing plays than it is to try to overpower the opponents big men especially when your featured runner is more of a finesse runner and not a power runner...and while we are on that point, by spreading out the splits like happens in the spread, it actually gives your finesse runner a much better chance when you do run the ball. I feel better now that I have gotten that off my chest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News