ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Swimming Trials with significant UVA presence

playgroundhoo

CavsCorner Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2005
For anyone interested, several UVA current, future, and past swimmers have either excellent or good shots at making the Olympic team. Wave II trials (the final ones) started this morning and will go through next weekend.

I won't post every detail like I did with the Womens' NCAA Championships, but if you'd like to follow along, check SwimSwam for in-progress prelims every morning and semi-finals and finals every night. NBC is also broadcasting finals live most nights, starting tonight, so you can watch out for UVA swimmers.

Here is this morning's schedule and recap: https://swimswam.com/2021-u-s-olympic-trials-wave-ii-day-1-prelims-live-recap/

Kate Douglass just qualified 3rd for the semifinals in the 100 Meter fly tonight (this is now a long-course 50-meter pool). This is a monster event and worth watching, with Gretchen Walsh (incoming first-year and Alex Walsh's sister) qualifying 8th. Watch Claire Curzan, too - a generational talent high schooler in multiple events from Raleigh whom UVA is recruiting.

Also watch Emma Weyant in the 400 IM. She's seeded 2nd, with probably the best chance of making the Olympic team. She would have been a 1st year at UVA this year, but chose to wait a year after the Olympics.

There are several other top-5/6 seeds in the coming days, including Leah Smith (former UVA, already an Olympic medalist), Alex Walsh, Paige Madden, Kate Douglass, and Gretchen Walsh. I can't remember all the specifics, but there's a good chance that one or more UVA women will be swimming in the Olympics next month.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.