ADVERTISEMENT

OT - The impact of Clark on the WNBA part deux

richard2

CavsCorner Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2002
Midlothian, VA
Most Corner readers have figured out by now that I am a fan of Caitlin Clark. Apparently there are many basketball fans who also enjoy watching Clark play. While there are several story lines that led fans to watch the 2024 WNBA All-Star game, I believe that the chance to see how Clark would perform against the USA team was likely at the top of the list for many. A record 3.44 million television viewers watched the game. This was almost exactly 2 million more than the previous record set in 2003 and almost four times the number (850 thousand) who watched the game last year. She has played in 15 of the 17 highest attended games in the WNBA this year.
Many people believed that the USA team would easily win the game against the WNBA All-Stars, but they were wrong as the All-Stars won 117 to 109. There were several All-Stars who were major factors in the upset. One was Clark, who set a fast pace and had ten assists. Her detractors will point out that she had a poor shooting game, and they are correct. I believe that there were two factors that caused this. First, she has played almost continuously for the past ten months. Second, she was picked up defensively in the back court and defended by the best defensive back court players on the USA team.
I would not be surprised if Clark is playing for a team other than the Fever next year. If so, I expect her scoring and turnover stats to improve. I also expect the USA team to be challenged by several teams in the Olympics, and I will not be surprised if they get upset.

Last edited:
Reactions: sc-hoo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.