ADVERTISEMENT

OT - The impact of Clark on the WNBA

richard2

CavsCorner Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2002
Midlothian, VA
About one month ago I suggested that Clark should have been selected for the USA Olympic team. At that time several posters disagreed for several justifiable reasons. It was stated that her stats were not good enough, that she had not had an impact on her team's record, and that her popularity should not be a factor in the selection for the team. Since then there have been some changes that I believe to be significant.
Her stats have continued to improve. She is averaging about 17 points a game; she is a very close second in the league in assists, and is likely the best rebounding guard. She has already established new league and team records; she is the first rookie to have a triple double, and she had five straight games with a double double.
She was selected by the Indiana Fever. The team had little talent as indicated by the team's 13 - 27 record in 2023. The team started the 2024 season with a 2 - 8 record but has gone 9 - 6 in the last fifteen games for a 11 - 14 record to date. She has led her team to victories over higher ranked teams who have two players selected for the Olympic team.
Her popularity has been greater than expected, Opponents have almost always moved the venue to larger arenas when the Fever team comes to town. The prices for tickets to the next game in Dallas range from a low of $168 for seats in the corner sections to $3, 243 for seats behind the Fever bench. This compares very favorably to the price of Virginia's first football game selling for $22 to $106.
There are now four players selected for the Olympic team that are currently injured, and Clark has been suggested as a possible replacement if any of them are unable to play.. More than ever, I agree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.