ADVERTISEMENT

Whispers from the scrimmages...

BradFranklin

CavsCorner Publisher
Staff
Sep 2, 2003
Short Pump, Va.
I was finally able to get something substantial from sources about UVa's two scrimmages. Here are some quick thoughts...

-- If I had to bet money on it, I'd say UVa will likely go with either Marial Shayok or Darius Thompson as the fifth starter on Friday night. Sounds like Shayok was solid in the scrimmages thus far but Thompson, along with Devon Hall and Isaiah Wilkins, really played well and stood out.

There's some thought among those I trust that TB could go different ways here. He could bring Thompson in off the bench since he's primarily UVa's third ball handler. That way, it's a natural cover for when London Perrantes or Malcolm Brogdon need a rest. At the same time, Thompson has really shown himself to be what the staff thought he'd be and he might be too good not to have out there more often than not. This feels like a situation where Thompson and Shayok will likely play roughly the same minutes most nights.

-- On Wilkins, I inquired as to if his improvement is based on him extending his range and was told that his shooting is a small part of it but really it's been more about being better at being who he was last season. He's not really a guy that UVa will play at the 5 but he's a very skilled power forward who can do a lot of good things defensively. That tidbit about the 5 matters IMO because of how often UVa can/will go with a four-guard lineup. I don't think you're going to see him matching up with true centers the way Akil Mitchell or Darion Atkins did in the past.

-- On Hall, it sounds like he's continued to take a step forward. I realize I said something similar last year but I'd be really surprised if he doesn't get more burn.

-- As to other guys, the stuff I heard today on Mike Tobey wasn't quite as glowing as the rumblings following the VCU scrimmage. That's not to say there are concerns/worries. Just passing along what I hear. He was solid, from what I was told, but it wasn't dominant or anything like that.

I also heard that Jack Salt has been real physical this preseason but he had a few rough moments against both VCU and Vandy. Sounds like he's still adjusting to the speed of the game, which is understandable. Because he is so physical and plays that way, he gets himself into some trouble at times trying too hard when he's a half step slow or maybe not quite as quick to get to the spot. Also, sounds like Jarred Reuter is kind of pushing to be a guy that UVa could play in spots where maybe Salt would normally get a look. That's not to say that Salt won't play, his length is a big plus over Reuter. But Reuter's a better overall basketball player and he's really improved on the time he's been on Grounds.

-- Do not be surprised to see TB go deeper than he normally goes in terms of guys getting minutes. The rotation itself is still being "battled" for by the guys in practice but there's a real feeling that Virginia is likely to play a lot of guys, especially early in the year.

-- Lastly, according to my source this morning, UVa is not dealing with any injuries at this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News