ADVERTISEMENT

Cheers, Fears & Beers - Game 10: UVA vs Pittsburgh

hoodaves

CavsCorner Hall of Fame
Staff
Sep 18, 2002
Fishersville , VA
2ndstringsports.com
UVA is at home once again this weekend facing 5-4 Pittsburgh. UVA put up a great fight against an explosive UNC offense and some questionable officiating but ultimately lost again. UVA is now 3-6 on the year, a painful 1-5 in the ACC and is tied for last in the Coastal with VT.

Pittsburgh comes into Charlottesville off a home win versus Syracuse. Pitt is 5-4 (2-3) and is a 4.5-point favorite heading into Saturday’s game. The Panthers have had a very roller coaster season. The Syracuse game was probably their best win on the year, though they did take Tennessee to overtime earlier in the season. Pitt has lost to GT and Louisville.

Regardless of how either team’s season has gone so far, this game is likely to be decided by who can control the line of scrimmage. Abanikanda has been a weapon for Pitt in the run game and is already over 1000 yards rushing and has 16 rushing TDS. Pitt’s quarterback, Slovis, has been inconsistent most of the year, and Pitt’s defense has allowed over 25 ppg this season. UVA will have to stop the run and force Pitt to pass, while also trying to establish their own run game and trying to build off any momentum the offense found against UNC.

Cheers

When we found out just before kickoff that the Hoos were going to be without three of their best receivers, it was hard to imagine that the offense would be able to score enough points to stay in the game versus Carolina. While UVA did not manage to light up the scoreboard, they still managed to put up more points than they had since the Richmond game. Wilson, Starling and Wood really stepped up to combine for almost 200 yards receiving. The run game produced 186 yards and all 4 touchdowns. Granted UNC is not great on defense, but UVA has failed to have this kind of offensive production against some other bad defenses. Whether the starting receivers are back this weekend or not, I look forward to seeing if the offense can show continued improvement against Pitt.

The defense allowed UNC to score 31 points, holding UNC almost 10 points below their season average. UNCs total yardage was not far off what they average on the season, but UVA’s defense did not allow a touchdown longer than 22 yards and did a good job limiting the explosive plays by UNC. The defense got to Maye multiple times and finished with four sacks on the day. Maye is a special quarterback with a ton of weapons. UVA did a heck of a job to keep the game close enough for UVA to have a shot at the end. Can they now limit Pitt’s rushing attack and help give the offense a chance to beat Pitt? I am excited to find out.

A lot of the talk going into this season was about the returning talent on the roster. Lost in the less than desired outcomes of many of the games has been the emergence of some young talent. Offensively, Xavier Brown flashed early, but Wilson and Starling have started to come on. Wilson looked every bit the part of an ACC caliber wide receiver against UNC. Defensively, we have seen Sanker, Agonloye, Bracey, James Jackson and others flash at times during the season. I look forward to seeing the younger guys continue to develop and help become the foundation for the team in the years to come.

Fears

Abanikanda. No explanation needed.

Pitt has been one of the most physical teams in the Coastal for several years. Last year’s defense and offense did not really fit that mold, but Pitt won the ACC anyway. This year’s Pitt team seems to be trying to return to the more physical style that Coach Narduzzi prefers. UVA will have to match that physicality to slow down the run game of Pitt and to establish their own run game. Last week’s offensive success was helped by being able to establish a ground game. Pitt should offer more resistance to doing so than UNC did. If the Hoos are not able to stop the run or run the ball, beating Pitt will be very difficult. So, I have some concerns.

With 3 receivers out last week, young guys got more playing time and performed well. Now that there is more film out on those young guys, they will have to elevate their level of play another notch in order to achieve success. If Wicks, Davis or KT remain out again this week, the young guys will be leaned upon again, even with possibility of Fields returning. Can they keep the hunger during the week of practice to help them take another step?

Beers

Noon game – drink. At least we can officially say this is the last Noon hour home game of the year. Next week, we get a 3:30 kick against a scary Coastal Carolina team. But this week, we put all our experience gained from the four other Noon hour kickoffs to work for another short tailgate.

The drink for this week must be a beer. Pittsburgh and physical football make this a beer drinking game. Iron City? Well, that’s up to you but not this week unless you are rooting for Pitt to win. I am admittedly more of a lite beer drinker – Michelob Ultra or Miller Lite. It is a quantity over quality thing. This week though we will go with my favorite of the UVA branded beers: Star Hill Brewery Wahoo Pale Ale. It not only comes in a great can, but it also tastes great. Starr Hill says: Wahoo Pale is packed with juicy, fruit-forward hop flavors and backed with a smooth malt finish. The nice thing is you can find it locally and still drink it in the stadium.

It’s a noon kick – you know the deal. The forecast for gameday currently is for a high of 68 degrees. I would keep an eye on the forecast as we have a storm headed this way which is going to dump a lot of rain on the area Friday. If the timing changes, the weather for Saturday could be much different. Again, what time should you start? Well, it is a 12:00 kick-off and based on my years of experience, you will want to be in your spot and set-up for the day by 8:00AM. We will be.

BEAT PITT!

Go HOOS!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News