ADVERTISEMENT

Cheers, Fears & Beers - Game 9: UVA vs UNC

hoodaves

CavsCorner Hall of Fame
Staff
Sep 18, 2002
Fishersville , VA
2ndstringsports.com
UVA is back in Charlottesville for the second of four straight home games. The Hoos host North Carolina a week after the Hoos’ painful loss to Miami. In a game that seemed to contradict everything about modern offensive football, UVA lost to yet another back-up quarterback in a game that featured 4 more overtimes than touchdowns. The UVA defense has not allowed an opposing offense to score a touchdown in two straight conference games yet could only manage to win of those games.

UVA sits at 3-5 overall and 1-4 in the ACC. In 5 ACC games UVA is averaging 16.4 points per game. Luckily, the next opponent has what many believe is one of the worst defenses in the conference, but in the words of Lee Corso: “Not so fast my friend!” Sure, UNC is allowing an average of 31.4 ppg on the season versus UVAs 21.5, but UNC allowed 106 points in just 2 games. In ACC play, UNC leads the coastal in points allowed at 23.3 per game while UVA is second at 23.4. That is where the similarities end with points. If UVA had scored twice as many points as they have this year, UNC would still average 8 more points per game. UVA faces a daunting task in Charlottesville on Saturday where UNC comes in as a shockingly small 7 to 7.5-point favorite. Meanwhile, I face a daunting task in finding things to be excited about heading into the week, but let’s get to it.

Cheers

UVA had no turnovers and only two dropped passes against Miami. Obviously, that did not help UVA win the game, but it did keep the team in the game despite the offense continuing to struggle to find the endzone. Despite the reduction in drops, one of the drops was in the end zone and would have likely resulted in a UVA win. Still, 2 drops and 0 turnovers is an improvement for the offense. They will need to play clean this week against North Carolina to have any chance to win.

The defense played a great game against Miami. Miami was playing with a backup quarterback, but regardless the defense did a great job holding Miami out of the end zone until the very last play of the game. If you hold a team to 6 points in regulation, you should win. The offensive firepower that UNC has is superior to Miami and will be a challenge for UVA to slow down. Miami was the only team to hold UNC under 35 points on the year. I look forward to seeing if UVA’s defense can be the second.

Special teams had a good day versus Miami. It was great to see Bettridge find success on his four field goal attempts, even if one was a bank shot. Hopefully, we do not have to see him kicking as many field goals this weekend. It would be extremely helpful if UVA can get a block or a big return from special teams against UNC.

The last thing that has me excited about this weekend - because it surely is not yet another noon kick - is the fact that Mack Brown will be on the opposite sideline. Despite having some great teams during his two tenures at UNC, he has yet to win a game in Charlottesville (or at any other school in the Commonwealth). Combine that with a Vegas line which really stinks and maybe there is a chance UVA pulls off the upset.

Fears

Have you seen this UNC offense? There is surely a system component to how well the quarterbacks perform in Longo’s offense, but Drake Maye is dang good – for a senior, much less a freshman. He is completing over 70% of his passes, for over 330 yards per game. He has 29 touchdowns passing to 3 interceptions. While he is not thought of as a dual threat guy, he can run. He is averaging over 50 yards a game on the ground and has 3 rushing touchdowns on the season. UVA will have to get pressure on him all day. If not, he and his receivers are good enough to score on every possession. I have some concerns.

As mentioned earlier, Miami is the only team to hold UNC under 35 points this season. Carolina won that game versus Miami 27 to 24. If the defense has a superb day and can hold UNC to 27-35 points, can UVA score enough to win? At some point you are what you are. With 8 games in the books, it seems unlikely that the offense is going to suddenly start lighting up the scoreboard. Here is a stat to just blow your mind: UVA has gone 7 straight games without breaking 20 points – for the first time since 1978. Yeah, I have plenty of fears. We all do.

Beers

Oh look, another Noon kickoff. At least the Pitt game….will also be noon. I was mildly surprised at the tailgating scene for the Miami game and hope UNC will be even better. As you know, UNC is the biggest rival for many UVA fans. Better make this a good tailgate, because who know what awaits when the game kicks off.

After having a friend bring all the ingredients for last week’s drink, I am going to make sure I like the drink recommendations from now on. That ghostbuster not only did not work in correcting UVA’s offense, but it was also not a friendly drink to the old taste buds. So, needing a good traditional drink for the oldest rivalry in the South and wanting to like what I recommend, this week we are going with a simple staple of my libation library: bourbon and ginger.

Ingredients:

Bourbon (Blanton’s if said friend wants to provide the ingredients again)
Ginger Ale
Ice cubes

Steps:

• Add ice to glass.
  • Add bourbon to glass as desired.
  • Feel remainder of glass with ginger ale.
  • Mix.
  • Enjoy – responsibly.
With the game starting at 12:00 we lose valuable tailgating time yet again. The forecast for gameday currently is for a high of 76 degrees. It will be in the high 50s if you start tailgating as prescribed. There is currently no rain in the forecast.

Clearly, I do not have a say in our television slotting. It is another tent, tables, brunch and libations day. What time should you start? Well, it is a 12:00 kick-off and based on my years of experience, you will want to be in your spot and set-up for the day by 8:00AM. We will be.

BEAT CAROLINA!

Go HOOS!

Reactions: sc-hoo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News