ADVERTISEMENT

Cheers, Fears & Beers - Week 1: UVA vs Richmond

hoodaves

CavsCorner Hall of Fame
Staff
Sep 18, 2002
Fishersville , VA
2ndstringsports.com
After doing this Cavs Corner thing for a decade and change, Brad thinks it is time for me to start doing some actual content outside of my general musings on the message board. We think the best way for me to do that is by focusing on the fan side of the UVA sports experience. That has been my role on the podcast since its inception, so it seems logical – hand wringing and all. So, let me introduce what we will refer to for now as Cheers, Fears & Beers.

Each game week, I will offer up what I - as a fan - am most excited about leading into the next game; what I am most concerned about; and finally, a little advice on tailgating for that week based on weather and kickoff time. Some of it will surely be tongue-in-cheek but hopefully provide a little of my own insight into our team and the opponent. So, without further ado, lets kick this off.

Cheers

It is the first game of the season – the first game of the Tony Elliott Era – new look – new gameday experiences – new schemes – new team – new tailgate season - but a lot of returning weapons including one of the best quarterbacks in the collegiate game – lets freaking go!

Every new season is exciting, but rarely do you get the excitement of a new coaching staff taking over a program that was not downtrodden the year before. We can argue if the program was in a great place at the end of 2021, but for a first-time big whistle, Coach Elliott has a lot of talent to work with compared to most new coaches.

I am excited to see how Brennan Armstrong and his merry band of bad men at receiver can perform within the framework of a new offensive scheme. It is hard to imagine any UVA fan who is not excited about seeing an effort to establish a running game using the running backs. Offensive line concerns aside, the offense has a lot of talent and will hopefully continue to produce points.

Defensively, I am excited to see something different. Can it be any worse than what we all had to endure last year? The transfers, first years and returning players offer some optimism that the defensive results should improve. A running game and an offense that can chew clock at times will be a great complement to the defense. Richmond will offer a decent challenge to the new pass defense and pass rush. If not, week 2 against a more physical Power 5 team certainly will provide one.

I am also excited to simply be a part of another football Saturday in Charlottesville. As podcast listeners will know, tailgating is an event for our group. The game is the main event, but it is hard to beat the fellowship, laughs and fun of a great tailgate before and sometimes after the game. I have been coming to UVA games for almost 40 years now and the first home game is special every year. I am excited to have one more.

Fears

As the hand-wringer-in-chief (designated, not agreed upon), I obviously have some concerns heading into a new season. All the things that are exciting about a new staff and scheme are equally concerning until you see it play out.

Was the craziness of our offense the secret sauce that made it work? Can the same guys be as productive within a more traditional college offense? Can 5 new starters on the offensive line come together fast enough for the offense to be effective? Is the defense really going to improve? Yeah, I have some concerns.

We are also playing Richmond. We all know how excited we were heading into the first game of the Bronco era. “We aren’t home for Christmas!” Coach Elliott is taking the whole team to the same Paint the town Orange Event the night before this year’s game where Bronco spoke those words several years ago. How did it go the next day back then? 37-20 Richmond Spiders. Yeah, I have some concerns.

Gameday attendance has not been great the last few years, Covid notwithstanding. As someone who has not missed more than a handful of home games the last few decades, I hate when the stadium is not full. I am really hoping for more fans to come out and support the new staff in Scott Stadium. UVA is still selling lower bowl tickets with a t-shirt for $20, so no excuses for not coming. However, that they are offering this deal this close to the first game does not suggest a full house at 12:30. Yeah, I have some concerns.

Beers

This section will be where I – as tailgate-set-upper-in chief (self-appointed) – will offer some advice on what to plan for your tailgate each week based upon the opponent, the kickoff time and the weather. I will leave out actual food advice, though it is hard to beat Wayside takeout most days, or drink advice, but I do always recommend having both.

The Richmond game kicks at 12:30, which obviously means we lose some valuable tailgating time. The forecast for gameday currently is 89 degrees with clouds. Even with clouds, a tent is your friend with those temps.
Given the early kick, I will not be bringing the television and generator set-up. We will be walking to the stadium before any other games kick-off anyway. So, we will stick to tents, tables, chairs, cold beverages, a brunch spread and I-pads streaming college gameday for those who want to listen in.

What time should you start? Well, it is a 12:30 kick-off. I like to get to the stadium 30 minutes before kick at least. So based on my years of experience, you will want to be in your spot and set-up for the day by 8:00AM. We will be.

Go HOOS!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News