ADVERTISEMENT

Going to attempt to paint a picture for those worried about life without MB

Arden918

CavsCorner Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2014
This is the 7th year of the Bennett era. We saw signs of what great coaching can do when Bennett took a team of Sene, Farrakan (sp), Sherrill, Sammy Z, Evans, etc...and had them 5-2 and in first place his first season in Charlottesville. It was then that I knew we had a great coach. Fastforward to Mike Scott's senior season. We were all worried when he left and rightfully so, the cupboard wasn't stocked so well, yet. The next season, we probably should have made the tourney. Word was we were first one out and the 4 or so last mid majors in tanked. We played well in the NIT and the next year we won our first ACC regular season title and first tourney title since 76. Everyone worried about losing Joe Harris and Akil Mitchell but this time it was different. This time there was a little bit of talent in the pipeline. Whereas before it was all unrated guys except for Harris and freshman Brogdon trying to fill the void of of Scott leaving, in 2014-15 you had rated prospects Brogdon, Nolte, Anderson, Gill, Tobey, Wilkins, Hall, and a prospect rated highly in other places, Perrantes, was running the point. So what happens? 30-7 turned into 30-4. Are you seeing a trend here?

Ok, to hammer down the point further, what do all or most of the rated recruits above have in common? Don't know? They were all rated towards the bottom of the 150 except for Anderson. Brogdon was 104, Harris, Scott, Gill were all between 135-150, I forget where Tobey and Nolte landed because they bounced around so much but I am certain it wasn't top 75.

Before I get to the incoming recruits, I want to reiterate just what Tony and his assistants have done with average talent to date. Yes, I said average talent. If these players were as talented as they look in the UVa uniform, they would be dotting NBA rosters. As it is, I believe Mike Scott and maybe Justin Anderson are the only ones in the league and playing marginal roles. I may be jumping the gun on that point because the coming years could still unfold some surprises but I still think it works to reinforce the overall point. That being, you can expect certain players currently on the roster to make jumps next season. Someone out of Shayok/Thompson/Hall is GOING to average double figures next year. Wilkins may average near a double double. This is GOING to happen.

Now, add in what we have coming in. We have our first MDAA, we have a 5 star transfer and proven elite defender (was Nichols a MDAA, too?), we have a top 30ish jumping jack athletic big man, we have a top 50 point guard who dominated New York City, we have a top 50-60 wing, and we have the shooting up the rankings but rail thin big man that can shoot from North Carolina. To put it simply, Tony has more to work with than ever before. This thing is bigger than Brogdon, it was bigger than Joe Harris, it was bigger than Justin, and it was bigger than Mike Scott. This is a machine rolling forward and gathering steam. This is the Hoo Crew and JPJ being a death valley to opponents, this is coaches saying playing us is like playing "boys against men', this is the NCAA changing rules to slow down the culture yet the culture adapts. If you are worried, stop. Just stop. This is bigger than you know.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News