ADVERTISEMENT

Little separation, and lots of opportunity, at the top.

Cavalier435

CavsCorner All American
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2013
I titled the thread "Houston, and everyone else" before writing it out, as I believe Houston has proven the best and most consistent team all year. But even so, I don't think they're in a league of their own and seemingly untouchable like other dominant #1 ranked teams of recent years.

There is just little margin of error among most teams in the top 25 this year. Just this week:
Monday
  • #1 Purdue lost to unranked (but KP #13) Rutgers
Tuesday
  • We lost to Pitt
  • #3 Kansas escaped unrakned TT (KP32) by 3
  • Kansas St. (KP29) set a school record 116 points in beating #6 Texas at Texas
  • #14 Wisconsin beat Minnesota (KP191) by 3 at home
  • Fresno State (KP138) took down the last undefeated in #21 New Mexico
Wednesday
  • #22 Auburn lost to Georgia (KP91). Georgia led for the final 24:17 of the game
  • #12 Miami lost to GT (KP121) and didn't score a point in the last 4:50 of the game
  • #16 Duke got rag-dolled by NC State (KP42)
  • #25 Iowa State beat Oklahoma (KP37) by 3
  • #4 UConn lost Providence (KP28) by 12 and didn't get within 5 rest of game after losing the lead with 14:10 left
Thursday
  • #1 Purdue nailed a 3 with 12 seconds left to win at #24 Ohio State
  • #15 Indiana lost at Iowa (KP51) by 2
  • #10 UCLA won at home by 2 against USC (KP64). After scoring 44 in the 1st half, UCLA put up 16 in the second, and scored 6 points from over 15 minutes (15:41-0:17) and had to hit a 3 with 0:17 left to reclaim the lead for good.
  • #5 Arizona eeked out a 3 point home win vs Washington (KP108)
  • #9 Gonzaga made a tip in with 9 seconds left to beat San Francisco (KP100) on the road. SF led for 35 of the 40 minutes.
I see a lot of teams in a similar spot to us, trying to have their play justify their ranking while they figure things out. Very few teams that have looked complete.

With what we saw early in the year, and the talent we know exists on the roster, I still think we have plenty of life in us to roll into March as a serious contender--especially with the inconsistency and lack of elite teams at the top. The cream will eventually rise as conference play wears on, and hopefully we're counted therein.

To stoke some banter, what are the 2-3 key points of leverage that you think must be improved/fixed for us to be true contenders on Selection Sunday?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News