ADVERTISEMENT

McKneely Eager to Take on Larger Role

brianljordan

CavsCorner Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 23, 2017
Los Angeles
A couple of notable passages from McKneely Eager to Take on Larger Role

“The biggest area of improvement I’m trying to work on is probably my handle,” he said. “Last year I was off the ball a lot, but I feel like this year I might have more ball-handling responsibilities. Obviously, we’ve got Reece, and he’s a great ball-handler. But I feel like I might have to take some responsibility as well this year.”​
“I think the one thing I am noticing about him is he’s a little quiet,” Sanchez said, “and I’m hoping that he starts understanding his role here is to be vocal, to demand the ball when he’s open, so that he can impact the game with his shooting ability." “The biggest thing for him is: ‘Can I get to the point where whenever I’m open, my teammates are finding me?’ You can’t be a mouse on the floor when that happens. You’ve got to articulate some things better.​
“I told him, ‘Take the parking brake off … If you have a rhythm shot, take it. Be assertive,’ ” Bennett said after that game at JPJ. “It’s a process for everyone, but we needed that, and he’s rising up and bouncing up and hitting some shots, and I want him to keep developing.” In practices this summer, he said, “I’ve definitely been more aggressive, and I’ve been working on my handle, so I’m starting to get to the rim more. Not just living and dying by the 3-point line, but trying to attack and create for others as well.”​
Beekman said he’s seen a change in McKneely. “He’s been hunting his shot a lot. His shot was great last year, but I can tell he stayed with it over the summer.,” Beekman said. “I just feel like he’s adding a little more off the dribble. He’s getting to the middle of the paint, shooting floaters. He’s still doing his catch-and-shoot stuff, but also being able to put it on the ground.​

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News