ADVERTISEMENT

GT game report

sc-hoo

CavsCorner Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2004
South Carolina
https://virginiasports.com/news/2019/11/9/jeff-white-georgia-tech-game-report.aspx

Good report by Jeff White...

—We’ll use this bye week mainly to get healthier

—Unbelievably we lost another DB Chris Moore to a “leg injury”, but Heskin Smith stepped up after one days practice.

—We gave up season highs for GT in points scored and yardage gained, who was the worst offense in the conference

—The improved play of Perkins and our offense is mainly due to improved OL play per CBM

—Reed’s play was limited today due to an injury at UNC. Kelly and Kemp stepped up to help

—Jana has two 100+ yard games in a row

—Plus some quotes...

• Mendenhall: "Each bye week is different. Based on the current standing of our team, the number one goal for this week is recovery and healing. That doesn't mean that we're going to the spa, but we need to recover, and we need to get as healthy as possible."

• Kelly on his performance: "I didn't see it as a breakout. I see it as me just getting started."

• Senior defensive lineman Eli Hanback on how UVA's front seven can help the depleted secondary: "We gotta go sack the quarterback. That's the bottom line. We just gotta get after the quarterback and put him under pressure so he can either make bad throws or we sack him."

• Zandier on the defense's second-half improvement: "We just decided at halftime that we had to step up. Our offense was playing really well, and we were not giving them much help. As a defense we came together and said we have to get a stop and get our offense back on the field as fast as we can."

• Perkins on the drive on which Virginia ran out the clock: "We knew that it came down to being more physical than them, and we knew that they were going to bring the pressure. We knew we had to win our blocks to keep the drive going and keep [getting] first downs. So it was really significant. Instead of putting the ball in their hands, we controlled it ourselves and put it on our shoulders to finish out the game."

• Jana on Kelly's status as the heir apparent to Reed on kickoff returns: "Joe's kind of been at the helm for the last four years here, so we're definitely looking for the next person up, and T.K. is an explosive player. So I'm glad he's starting to get his footing in the game, because we've seen him do things in the practice I haven't seen anybody do."

• Hagans on Kelly: "He has big-play ability. It's just staying consistent and doing the little things. When he's consistent and working hard and doing everything he needs to do, the sky's the limit for him. So hopefully he'll continue to grow and this will give him confidence going down the stretch, because he can really help this team."

• Hagans to Reed outside the locker room: "Get healthy, man."

• Kelly on Kemp's big game: "It's always special when my man makes plays. That's my roommate, so we sit and talk all the time about the things we want to do and what we're going to do."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News