ADVERTISEMENT

Last two game thoughts

Grafton19

CavsCorner Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2004
Columbus,Ohio
Obviously they're tough losses with teams who either had a guy or a whole team who exposed us. So if you're looking at it from that point of view then things should be OK, but there's enough to worry me where for the first time in a few years I'm not just freaking out over a loss. Remember last year we lost a few in a row but I was never worried. This year my concerns are legit.

Rebounding and Post Points- This is the reason why when we added Austin we knew this went from a rebuild to a potential very good team because he brought those two things to the table even if you take away the fact he had not played a minute in our system defensively yet.

JR can score but is slow and 4 guard lineups expose him.

Salt is tough as nails, but early fouls and quickness hurt him.

MD has potential to be better than the two above, but at times will take a bad jumpshot and get exposed for lack of strength and his body, but he makes up for that with his quick jumping ability and ability to change that.

Wilkins- Don't really even count him as a big. He's a tweener and does what he wants depending on the night. His defense when he's locked in is actually pretty good, but the keyword is when he's locked in.

Guards- DT is hit or miss. When he puts his head down and drives to hole he's pretty good, but very night and day with his jumper.

Hall- Best defender on the team IMO. The guy came in as a point guard and is now at times depending on their lineup defending guys 5 or 6 inches taller than him. His offense though is the same as Thompson, very hit or miss.

Guy- Teams are starting to defend him and when his shot isn't on, what value does he bring to the table? The kid will get better, but we now see in league play teams are putting him on a scouting report to defend. And doesn't handle well, which shocked me when LP was out at some point in 2nd half he was bringing the ball up

LP- The guy just has to carry us, it is that simple and if it's not in his nature to attack early in games on offense we're in trouble.

MS- When the guy is the one he's our best offensive weapon, but that then leads to him taking 4-5 bad shots a game where this team can't afford him shooting out of the offense.

TY- Just not ready for prime time. 2-4 min player right now at best

Guys we might be better in a few weeks or this just might be a rebuild and we have to get used to it. The league is strong night to night. That is what makes the Florida State game more frustrating because dropping games on the road is understandable, but you can't lose at home. Tony has a tough coaching job because on nights where our Bigs can't produce, we will get killed on the boards playing small ball. I have said this for a few weeks. If we can't get scoring from our posts, TB must draw up plays to get our guards down on the block. He used to post MB from time to time.

DT, MS, and DH all could be useful for a basket or two during the game just from an offensive set with them on the block.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News