ADVERTISEMENT

Message board updates coming (Updated)

BradFranklin

CavsCorner Publisher
Staff
Sep 2, 2003
Short Pump, Va.
Some of you may have seen the post this past week asking me about changes to the Main Board (if you don't frequent that board, be careful because it gets pretty wild pretty fast) and if those changes would be coming to CavsCorner.

Now that the new boards have been out in the wild for several days and our IT folks feel confident about the data they're seeing, I can tell you that CC will get the new boards late Monday night/early Tuesday morning.

So, what's different? Well, before we get to that let me be totally honest with you and say that the current board framework from an engineering standpoint is ancient. It's why we have those hiccups during games where the third or fourth page of posts won't load. The mothership went into making these changes so that issues like that will be a thing of the past. The new boards will be more secure and more stable.

What else will be different?

1. The new boards are smoother in addition to being responsive, i.e. formatted for whatever device (laptop, phone, tablet) you're on. The days of having a different site for mobile (and giving up things like quoting in replies) will be over. For my money, if that was the only change Rivals was making it would be worth it. It's going to fundamentally improve how well I can do my job.
2. There will be no limit on thread history.
3. There will be private messaging.
4. More dynamic embedding of media such as photos, videos, tweets, etc.
5. You will be able to set up alerts so that you can follow certain threads/users and the board will remember which threads you've viewed and where you left them.
6. The quoting aspect will be tweaked so that you're able to quote more easily; you'll be able to highlight a part of a post and reply directly to that quote. You'll even be able to quote multiple posts in your response.
7. The navigation and search functions will be much improved, meaning you can quickly jump to the first unread post in a thread or to the top and bottom of each thread. Advanced search features will include searches by keyword, date, or thread title.

Just as with the launch on the Main Board that's linked above, there will be "Help" resources pinned to the top of our board that will give you steps to get you up to speed on avatars, signatures, and pretty much anything else you can think of.

Now, I know change isn't easy. And for some of you, this might be hard to stomach at first. We get used to what we're used to and we like that comfort. All I can tell you is that in working with the boards the past couple of months, the new stuff is so, so much better than what we have now. And for those who don't really want all the bells and whistles, there will be a lot more customization available to you with the new boards than with our current iteration.

All I'll ask is that folks give it a chance and try to voice concerns directly to me/Rivals rather than fill the board with discussion of the board changes. I'm hopeful that the help topics will handle a lot of questions but I'll do my best to make sure I answer questions as quickly as possible.

As always, thanks for your support of the site and my email (which is in my signature for this very reason) is always open.

This post was edited on 4/20 12:03 PM by BradFranklin

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News