ADVERTISEMENT

Morsell - very, very bright future

whtraylor

CavsCorner Starter
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2004
Jacksonville FL
I've managed to catch most of the games on TV so far and last night I could really see why Morsell has such a bright future at UVa (I did miss the ASU game though). I believe Key's defense continues to be outstanding, but I believe that Casey is already the second best defender on the team. He has good lateral movement and is more than physical enough not be overwhelmed by just about anybody he would match up with. He's picking up the pack line quicker than most 1st years and is starting to anticipate rather than react and be a step slow. His hands are active and disruptive, especially when you combine them with the long reach.

On offense, he wants the ball in his hand and, despite his horrendous stats, is willing to shoot when he has an opening (unlike Kody and a few other who are way too tentative out there). I know he is perhaps the least efficient player in all of the NCAA right now, but all of the tools are there. I remember watching some of the clips of him before the season got underway and had mild concerns about his outside shot - it just wasn't consistent in drills and it now really shows in games. The release is all over the place. In that way he reminds me of a minor league fastball pitcher working to make the mechanics more repeatable - but the stuff is there. I believe with a modicum of corrective work this summer, he will emerge next year as a legitimate perimeter threat - not in the Joe, Kyle and Ty world-class threat, but more like Brogs from deep - you'll have to respect it and if you don't he'll make you pay. If I'm TB, I keep playing him no matter what for 18-22 minutes a game as an investment for next year and after. By his 3rd year, we will be singing his praises and wondering if he'll leave a year early.

As a last note, after winning it all last year, I promised myself that this year was gravy. I still hate it when we lose, but it doesn't sting like it used to with the hardware in hand. I watch the games and I find myself enjoying them more - a lot more - than many of the close games we've had over the past couple of years (those seemed like the closest thing that I could experience to giving birth as they left me happy but exhausted). Sure there are flaws in this team and I feel for Diakite and Braxton as this is their last year - but they got the ring last year and nobody will forget that for a long time. So I'm going to continue to watch, not get frustrated and discouraged, and look to what each returning player will bring to the table next year. Teams like NCSt, BC, Cuse, the Techs, even Louisville, better take advantage this year because I believe in 2021 we will remind them that UVa owns them. Hope others here will watch in the same vein and not let the current deficiencies prevent them from seeing the many positives to build on. Who knows, maybe we surprise a few folks this year before returning to form next, and the year after, and the year after.

Last question and my only complaint - where do Kihei, Woldy, Mamadi, etc, get the idea that an entry pass from the foul line to the man in the middle of the lane is a good idea? Only time I was fuming at the set last night. Passes to the low block come from the wing after a pass from the from the middle of the court. I pretty sure that is how they are getting coached as the angle from the foul line gives zero room for error and the dead on entry doesn't move the defense. Looking forward to Wake!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News