ADVERTISEMENT

Nervous about this season

brtyler01

CavsCorner Starter
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
I'm glad for the new staff and like how things are going so far but I'm getting more and more anxious with the season around the corner, and I know some of you are thinking the same thing.

So the staff wants to run the ball. Great!! But can we wait until next year though?? Philosophically I agree with running the ball. Generally you have to. But we have perhaps the most dangerous QB/WRs combo in the entire country (and how often do we get to say that about a Uva offense). Perhaps a once in a generation kind of event for a school like Uva. Can't we just keep most of the system in place from last year bc these guys are so in tuned with it and go ahead and capitalize on our rare spoils. Look at what Pitt did last year by doing the exact same thing (though they also had a defense). Hell I'm a former RB myself so I prefer run heavy offenses but our passing game could be dominant this year. Plus with our schedule we could absolutely come out of the coastal, if we can at least go from a last tier defense to a 2nd to last tier defense. The program is nowhere near a perennial contender so our likelihood of getting to a title game is vastly based on getting a favorable schedule. The door is open this year.

Of course I don't expect the new staff to keep the old system. What makes me nervous is TE mentioning running the ball more. Because that would clearly mean passing it less. If Armstrong throws it less than 40-45 times per game I think it's a disservice to our personnel. You can install a successful passing game but you need to develop a running game over time. We have the lowest returning starts on the OL in the entire country this year (2), unproven RBs everywhere and no previous identity when it comes to running the football whatsoever. They're starting from scratch.

I want us to run the ball more. A lot more actually. I just don't want to leave yards/production/wins on the field this year in the name of new staffs and new philosophies. TE will make a big impression on me based on how he mitigates this issue throughout this season.

Reactions: hoodc and whitlaw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News