ADVERTISEMENT

Not sure this makes me feel "better" about hoops recruiting, but...

IPWT

CavsCorner Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2002
Wisconsin is probably the power conference program we most closely relate to. Obviously they've enjoyed a lot of success in a good conference.

Went back and checked their recruiting...their 2017 & 2018 classes look pretty good. However, Sam Dekker (5 star) committed early in mid 2010, as part of the 2012. In the 6 years between Dekker committing, and their first 2017 4 star (Reuvers) committing, Wisconsin took (according to the Rivals database) 15 players.

One was a 4 star (Koenig), and the only one in the top 120 at 73. They took 3 others between 123-149 in their classes. The other 11 were nowhere to be found, and almost all had a mid-major offer list with Wisconsin as the clear best program to offer. This is while they were winning A LOT of basketball games.

Now my preference is to have classes that closer resemble 2016, and not have to gamble future success in the ACC on guys who are "under the radar". That said, it can be done, and if 2018 & 2019 continue to follow the same path in recruiting...with Tony as coach I think we'll continue to look more like Wisconsin, than say Boston College.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News