ADVERTISEMENT

Practice No. 1 Observations

DamonDillman

CavsCorner Hall of Fame
Staff
Jul 21, 2021
Just got back from McCue and the first practice of the preseason. Brad will be posting Bronco's session with the media as soon as it's uploaded. We got to watch 30 minutes, which was mostly stretching and then some special teams work, primarily XP/FGs and then coverage work. Some quick notes:

• Players now have last names on the back of their practice jerseys!
  • Bronco said they entered camp healthy with two exceptions, both on the offensive line - tackles Derek Devine and Jonathan Leech. Both were on the sideline during the open portion of practice. Devine had a boot on his right leg, which was propped up on a cart.
  • Got our first glimpse of Devin Darrington doing a little bit of work at RB before practice. The grad transfer from Harvard certainly looks the part - including, as Brad described it, "the neck of a defensive tackle" - but still appeared to move really well. Bronco told media after practice that he believes running back is the deepest position on the roster. He also indicated that it's on the rest of the group to take the primary job away from Taulapapa.
  • Bronco also said he was happy to have Dontayvion Wicks back at WR, mentioning that Wicks made a few nice long catches in practice after gates were closed to media. Also following practice, Wicks was among a group of receivers putting in extra work on their own catching balls from the JUGs machine. That cluster also included Lavel Davis, Billy Kemp, Demick Starling, Ra'Shaun Henry and Artie Henry.
  • One more note on the receiver group: Luke Wentz was spotted doing work with the 1s before practice.
  • The team went straight to XP/FGs after stretching. Justin Duenkel was kicking with the first unit, Hunter Pearson with the 2s. Unless I missed one they both were perfect on their attempts. Danny Caracciolo was long snapper with the 1s, Lee Dudley with the 2s.
  • One player who jumped out from a physical standpoint was first-year offensive lineman Logan Taylor. He looked every bit of the 6-7, 320 that Taylor is listed at on the roster. Taylor was running with the 2s on the field goal team.
  • Noah Taylor mentioned to reporters after practice that he's up to 231. He's listed at 235.
  • Finally, we saw a fiery side of Bronco that I can't remember getting a look at in year prior. After a midfield huddle, the team lined up to kick a field goal. Apparently there had been some miscommunication between coaches about which units should be on the field. Mendenhall made his message clear: "Coach Pop! Coach Tujague! Listen to what I said in here!... Get your [stuff] together!" It was the most outspoken I can ever recall hearing the head coach in his time at UVa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News