ADVERTISEMENT

Site announcement: Welcome Damon Dillman as Managing Editor!

BradFranklin

CavsCorner Publisher
Staff
Sep 2, 2003
Short Pump, Va.
The system says I’ve been a member of CavsCorner since Sept. 2, 2003. At the time, I was just a newly-hired sportswriter trying to keep up with the Wahoos. I had no way to know I’d eventually get hired to write here, let alone become the publisher a relatively short time later. And it’s been an awesome ride these last 10 years, through coaching changes and brutal losses and even bigger victories.

Now, it’s time for someone else to take the reins.

I am so happy to announce that starting today, Damon Dillman (@DamonDillman) begins as managing editor of CavsCorner. It was really by a fortunate bit of circumstance that we were able to bring him on to cover baseball in the spring. After Damon left CBS19 and the Sportsplex, I had an idea that maybe he would be a good fit for us and that definitely was the case. While I knew he would do a great job with it, I was really blown away by all he did on the baseball beat and how quickly it became a mainstay for us. When I started thinking about this next phase for the site, he was my No. 1 target on the board by far.

Damon will be in charge of the day-to-day operations and the content for the site going forward. Having been in Charlottesville for about a decade now, he’s obviously not like a lot of new faces in a situation like this. He knows the town, he knows UVa, he knows a lot of the players and coaches, and he also understands the fanbase which is crucial.

Aside from the time he’s spent over the years out at local high schools, Damon’s background is in covering UVa’s various programs. So I’m also bringing in Matt Hatfield of VirginiaPreps to contribute to our recruiting coverage. I feel like I’ve known Matt as long as I’ve been here, all the way back to my newspaper days in Emporia. I have always been impressed with the way he builds relationships with HS players and coaches, especially in the 757. Matt will write several stories a week going forward, at least for a while until Damon has some time to get his legs under him.

In addition to Damon and Matt, Ferber is remaining on staff and will continue to contribute as well, handling a lot of our preview stuff and the features he’s been doing for a while like the Film Room and Take Two.

Lastly, I’ll be staying on as publisher and occasionally pop in here and there. My plan is to still go to games and write a column every now and again. I will also continue handling all “non-sports” issues for the site (membership, IT, etc). So, please continue to reach out to me first if you have any problems or concerns.

I’m really excited about the changes we’re making and the team we’ve put together. I don’t think I could have found anyone more better suited to run the day to day than Damon and I have no doubt that he’ll do a great job with it. This is an interesting gig and one for which I am and will remain extremely thankful. It’s not too dramatic to say it changed my life. It took me on the most amazing ride of my lifetime and has been an absolute blast, even through the lows and the board meltdowns and everything in between. If I could go back and tell the version of me that signed up that day in 2003 what was coming, I never would’ve believed it. My thanks go out to everyone here who has supported me and the site over the years. You have my deepest gratitude for allowing me to do what I love covering the team I have rooted for and followed my entire life.

Now, we move forward. And, in the words of Bryce Perkins, “Man, Go Hoos.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News