ADVERTISEMENT

What's the draw for east coast top players wanting to play for U of W?

D-Wayne

CavsCorner Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Aug 13, 2002
Just saw the Demantha kid, 5 star, #23 Markell Fultz of the 2016 has committed to University of Washington.

What the heck is Coach Lorenzo Romar doing to get 4, four star players in the 2015 class and already a five star kid from the east coast to go out there at University of Washington? He got 4 star Noah Dickerson from Fla, last year, along with 4 star PF Malik Dime from Iowa to go out there and picked up 4 star PF Marquese Chriss from Ca. Also got local Seattle kid, 4 star Dejoute Murray to come. The 2015 recruiting class had 8 total recruits!

This is with a record of 2013-2014 season of 17-15 and a 2014-2015 season with a record of 16-15. The previous years are no better and it really is a head scratcher when you see they play in a WEAK to Average conference and their out of schedule is flat out CUP CAKE teams. Here is some samples of their power house schedule the last couple of seasons:

Hartford,Mississippi, Idaho State (they even have a team???), Stony Brook, Pacific (real national contender), Grambling State, Jackson State, Saint Martins, Sana Clara, to name a few on their rotation. They don't beat UCLA and Yes they play an overrated Utah like Gonzaga who plays nothing but tons of cup cakes out west.

Utah also only is ranked like Wichita State and N. Iowa due to flat out joke of a schedule both in conference and out of conference. There should be a rule that if 90 percent of your scheduling is Div II level competition you should not be ranked preseason or during the season in the top 10 EVER! I have been retired for good now for three years and have got to watch Gonzaga late night games, Wichita State, N. Iowa and figured out their school's deal. Also, After watching Few coach at the Pan American games he was inept at best. However, I don't know why he had a blank stare on his face when Gonzaga and Wichita State play that same type of rugby, push, grab, and have your big men just lower their shoulders/heads and shove the smaller competition out of the lane for easy put backs. The Pan American game reminded me a lot of watching Gonzaga and Wichita State home games with the number of missing whistles, obvious arm bars underneath the basket that the officials can't see. Both star guards get away with traveling, extra steps, and reaching. Sorry, but after I watched these squads on a regular basis it made Duke refed home games look honest in comparison.

Both Gonzaga and Wichita State coaches and schedulers are smart. They play their toughest teams in the beginning of the year/season and then when UVA, DUKE, NC, Louisville, ND, Miami, NC State are beating each up until the ACC tourney, these teams are reeling off 23 straight wins against flat out 100 and below ranked teams and moving up the rankings. Wichita State had to play N. Iowa at the end that was their ONLY competition and they stumbled (only two spots). So when NCAA tourney selection comes around the Gonzagas and Wichita States get a #1 or #2 seed, stay out west and play more of the same cupcake competition the first two rounds until Sweet Sixteen or Eight and hope to sneak pass a slumping good team to advance. Meanwhile UVA, NC, DUKE, LOUISVILLE, NCSTATE are paired up playing each other in the NCAAs by round two knocking each other off.

I really believe that Romar knows if he can get two or three players to come out there, he can turn around this lousy 17-15, 16-15 records, playing average conference teams and that stacked deck of stiffs/cupcake non conference schedule could have his team being the next overrated Gonzaga and Wichita State. With year in and year out preseason ranks in the top 10 or 15 playing 2 tough teams, 2 or 3 competitive teams and 16 to 20 weak and flat out lousy teams! Maybe that's what Romar is selling these recruits that this Team could be the next Gonzaga or Wichita State with guaranteed 25 or 28 wins a year! I sure hope University of Washington is not another west coast rated team drawing players out on a sham, stacked schedule! I guess if we played liberty, Norfolk State, Virginia State, Middle Tennessee, Furman and other local teams 2 or 3 times a year we could pad out schedule with 28 win seasons to have recruits drop in our lap, and we didn't have Power House in conference teams like Duke, NC, Louisville, ND night in and night out we could walk into a top ten preseason every year....oh yeah we are doing it against top competition night in and night out and are ranked in the top 10!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News