ADVERTISEMENT

Why I like Huff - video analysis

jackgl

CavsCorner Hall of Fame
Aug 27, 2010
I posted this video earlier but want to point out why I like that this video was called "Jay Huff Highlights" even though we see him missing as many shots as he makes. Here's my own analysis of the video:
1. At the 0:06 mark, Huff is bringing the ball up the court when he is challenged by the defender. Like a good ballhandler should, he instinctively lowers his body and puts himself between the ball and the defender, drawing the whistle on the defender for the bump.
2. At the 0:14 mark, he takes the ball from the top of the key, dribbles and makes a nice spin move to elude two defenders, drawing the foul.
3. At the 0:20 to 0:31 time frame, he calmly sinks the 2 free thows, showing excellent balance, form, release, and arc on his shots.
4. At the 0:33 mark, he fumbles the ball, but gets low and scraps with several defenders, picks up the ball and moves agressively to the hoop.
5. At the 40 sec. mark, another nice spin move followed with a good-looking step-back shot. Remember, this is a 6'10" high school junior.
6. At the 50 sec. mark, he head fakes his defender at the top of the key, blowing by him while driving to the hoop where he draws a blocking foul from a Carolina kid who's obviously watched too much Duke basketball.
7. At the 1:08 mark - nice looking missed jumper from the corner.
8. At the 1:13 mark, he moves his feet very well on defense while staying erect, avoiding the foul but causing a badly-missed shot by his man which Jay then rebounds.
9. At the 1:20 mark, this is one of my favorites: He misses the three from the top of the key, but then alertly sees the seam in the middle after his teammate gets the rebound, runs through that seam, then gets a great pass from that teammate for the slam.
10. At the 1:43, again, he moves his feet very well on D and blocks the shot. You can tell this kid is a coaches son - he looks very sound fundamentally.
11. At the 1:46, he makes a nice catch of a pass, showing great hands, followed by a quick spin move away from the defender for the easy finish.
12. At the 1:54, being very active in the middle allows him to finally get open for another easy one.
13. At the 2:06 - GET THAT CRAP OUTTA HERE!!!
14. At the 2:18, very active defensively and quick off the floor.
KUDOS to Patrick O'Brien of NC Preps for a very well done, instructive video. I have only one complaint, Patrick - where da rap music, bro?!!!!!

Reactions: Mighty Cav
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News