ADVERTISEMENT

Bball team over last two seasons

Gotta give Vitale (yes, Vitale!) the credit for making me think about this, but VA has won 31 of last 34 ACC regular season games. Given this league now includes DUKE, UNC, ND, Louisville, and Syracuse,(which is what Dickie V brought up) that is truly incredible. Given the players leaving and entering the league next year, I would be very willing to bet that we won't see another team have such an impressive two year stretch in quite a long time ......unless it is us. Coach Bennett truly deserves coach of the year for this, should have received it last year.

Chance to clinch the ACC

Amazing to me that we could clinch the ACC two years in a row with more than one game to play. Clinched last year at home against Syracuse and now have the opportunity to clinch again against Syracuse. Much more challenging situation than last year with it being on the road and senior night for a team not eligible for post season. We are their remaining statement game but we are still a very tough match up for them and will get it done. If not, then still believe we can get it done against Louisville but lets close it now!

Shayok

Don't remember seeing him in the game today, what's up with that? Unless he's hurt or in the doghouse, I'd like to see him in some.

Was good that Hall got a little PT, can see his progress recently now that he's seeing the court some.

As far as Nolte, don't mind him starting and glad he got going offensively at the end. However he got a ton of PT today when he had no confidence and couldn't hit a shot. When he's off like that, it's 4 on 5 offensively for us, maybe someone else should get little run.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

LP interviewed after game and commented on his re-broken nose

Link below.

Basically says the mask shifted and re-broke the nose. He liked playing better without the mask, and will play the rest of the season without the mask and will deal with his nose after the season. Probably means a re-break and set after the season to make it all "pretty".

https://screen.yahoo.com/college-basketball/uvas-london-perrantes-plays-broken-235238431.html

Stephen A. Smith & Gameday

So, I read this article on Friday: Memo to Jay Bilas: UVA leads ACC in scoring margin

Then I heard Stephen A. Smith's commentary on college basketball and UVA in particular on ESPN Gameday this morning. Do you think he really is that ignorant? How about the poster boy for ESPN now, Jay Bilas?

Sorry to seem so blunt, but ignorance is just the lack of knowledge and clearly these high paid basketball analyst are either ignorant or purposely ignoring the facts. Because in the next breath, they are praising UK and highlighting the great defense they play, but ignoring their slower tempo offense....

hold on. I may have answered my own question....
confused0006.r191677.gif

JA's shooting hand

Am I the only one with a tad bit of fear that JA's 3pt accuracy won't be near the same once he returns? He made such a huge leap from last year because he worked endlessly on his shot. That tells me he's earned his 3pt skills this year and that he's not a naturally gifted long range shooter. I'm wondering if all the down time (not shooting) during his injury will bring him down several notches from long range right when the postseason gets going. What're yalls thoughts?

WAR ROOM-- 2.27.15

The WAR ROOM is back and this edition is full of football recruiting info! The Cavaliers will be hosting their third Junior Day event of the year tomorrow afternoon in Charlottesville and we'll give you a glimpse of some of the names we've heard that are expected to be in town. We'll also touch on a few new offers that are out this week, including one to an in-state running back in the class of 2017 that ended up being a seven-offer day. And we'll touch on why we think the Wahoos will be a factor in his recruitment for a long time to come.

As always, what's said in the War Room, stays in the War Room. Let's go!

Visitors expected this weekend

It's the last home basketball game of the season and with it, one last opportunity for the football staff to bring in prospects for a visit prior to the start of spring ball next month. And UVa is expecting to host a number of targets tomorrow when the second-ranked Cavaliers host rival Virginia Tech.

The first prospect we'll list is a name from the past, as reclassified wide receiver Trevion Armstrong is expected to be in the house tomorrow. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound Trinity standout has started to pick up some momentum in terms of offers. At this point, we can't honestly say where UVa will or won't make a push but the fact that he's taking another visit is interesting all on its own.

The Cavaliers are also hoping that three-star defensive back Andrew Pryts is in town tomorrow. You won't find many three-star prospects with his offer list and UVa was one of the earlier schools to jump in the fray. Needless to say, though, that the Cavaliers need to find some staying power in a recruitment that will be tough to win.

Three-star New Jersey offensive lineman Liam Smith will also be in attendance. The 6-foot-5 tackle has an offer from UVa in addition to UConn, Duke, Miami, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, and Wake Forest, among others.

He won't be the only O-lineman in the house. UVa is also expecting to host Jacob Buccigrossi, a 6-foot-4, 280-pound tackle from Pittsburgh (PA) North Hills. He's a guy that sources have said the Cavaliers might be trying to add early, so don't be surprised if he joins the current three commits in 2016 at some point soon. Whether or not he's ready to end his recruitment, word we've heard is that he like the school a great deal.

Three-star wide receiver Tyree Rodgers. Harmon, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound wideout from Palmyra (NJ) has picked up early offers from ODU, Rutgers, and Temple. Johnson, meanwhile, is a 6-foot, 180-pound athlete from Potomac (MD) who has offers from BC, Iowa, UNC, and Wisconsin in addition to UVa. Finally, Rodgers is a 6-foot, 192-pound standout whose lone offer right now is from Temple.

New Jersey will be well represented if Smith, Harmon, and Rodgers as well Camden teammates Jamal Holloway make it down. Hawkins is a 6-foot-3, 193-pound four-star Rivals250 receiver with a laundry list of offers while Holloway, a 6-foot-4, 230-pound defensive end, has offers from Michigan State, ODU, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, and UVa.

Johnson won't be the only Bullis school prospect in Charlottesville. His teammate, four-star linebacker Cameron Brown, is also expected to be in attendance.

In addition to UVa legacy recruit Julian Okwara, a four-star outside linebacker from Charlotte.

We fully expect more names to be added to this list between now and tomorrow, with various players confirming their plans now that the weather had cleared up throughout the region. If we hear more names, we'll add them here.

A couple of new offers out

Considering that so much attention in the 2015 cycle was on UVa's search for more help on the line, there's no doubt that the focus on offensive tackles shifted into the class of 2016. And currently, there are a number of top targets at that position that the staff has already clearly defined.

This week, the Hoos made a move on the nation's top center prospect when UVa offered four-star Keystone State standout Connor McGovern. The 6-foot-5, 290 pounder from Lehman (PA) Lake Lehman Senior has offers from Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Miami, Michigan State, North Carolina, Penn State, and Pitt. A Rivals250 prospect, he'll be a tough get for the Cavaliers but he's a player that can make the interior of your line much, much better in a hurry.

The Cavaliers also offered Laurinburg (NC) Scotland County linebacker Jonathan Smith this week. The 6-foot-1, 220-pound inside backer also has early offers from Duke, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Michigan, North Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, and West Virginia, among others.

Big day/week for 2017 running back

Speaking of new offerees, there probably isn't a recruit having as good a week as 2017 Cox running back Khalan Laborn. The talented sophomore picked up seven offers in one day this week and it was UVa that got the train running. FSU, Ohio State, Arizona State, Virginia Tech, and Tennessee were all schools that followed suit.

This is a recruitment, much like the other uber-talented kids from the 757, that we expect the Cavaliers to be a factor in for the next couple of years. He's someone who is obviously very familiar with a lot of the guys UVa has signed and recruits currently on the board. While we're not saying the Hoos have the lead or anything for the 5-foot-10, 185-pound back, we definitely see them being a major factor in his recruitment.

That is it for this week, and as always, what's said here, stays here!

Is it crazy to think future teams could actually be BETTER defensively?

I know 1 game is too small of a sample size to make a definite statement, but last night gave us a look at what we could be defensively 2-3 years down the road.

Wake could simply never get into a rhythm on offense, and a big part of that was we always had 3 guys who are 6'5, athletic, and rangy on the floor together at all times (except for mop up at the end) on the perimeter. I know we'll lose Malcolm sooner than the others, but we've got Thompson & Stith waiting in the wings...both who fit that profile.

Our defense hasn't slipped a bit with Justin out, and he's arguably our best individual defender. Obviously London is our best game manager, but I saw an element last night that we don't normally see with him out there, because Hall & Shayok are simply bigger and more athletic.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT