ADVERTISEMENT

In-state football recruiting

Arden918

CavsCorner Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2014
Rivals ranks the top 45 players in Virginia. UVa has commitments to 7 while VT only has 4. There is no real discrepancy in where they are ranked, either. Each has one ranked in the mid late teens, VT has 3 ranked in the 20s while we have 2, and we have 4 ranked in the 30s. If we get Becton, we may even have the highest rated (7th) recruit in the state staying home. #2 Hunter is still uncommitted but he has three late visits set for Florida, Auburn, and Alabama. He is not staying home, in my opinion.

Now, I never expected us to be 2-10 our first year but I did expect VT to have a quick nudge ahead with Fuentes before he falters and gets fired after 4-5 years...just my gut feel. I also expected Bronco to overtake him by that time helping lead to his dismissal. Really didn't expect 2-10, I expected 6-6 while Tech did what they did this year was expected.

That said, in-state recruiting versus what VT is doing is a pleasant surprise. In Virginia, to be competitive, you have to keep home bred talent in state to be a solid program. It just doesn't work any other way here. I am very happy to see that we are winning the in-state battle even of the vast majority of in-state recruits are heading elsewhere. Fuentes is going to find out real quick that you can't be successful in Virginia getting just 4 of the top 45 players in-state to Blacksburg.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News